Wednesday 28 November 2007

3か⽉ – 3 Months

Well, I have made it to the half way point. Today is twelve weeks since I came to Japan. Three months down, three to go. I don't think the enormity of being half-way through my placement has hit me yet.

Over the past few weeks in particular, May and I have really bonded. She is remarkably similar to me, which does mean however, that she occasionally annoys me. Most of the time though, we spend laughing together. Yeah, we get a lot of stares from people at work, let me tell you. She has become a very dear friend to me and one I will always think of fondly when I remember my time in Japan. We have already made loose plans for me to visit her in Vancouver and for her to visit me in England at some point in the future. Man, I'm going to miss her. Although I am excited about finishing my placement and going home, it makes me sad thinking about leaving May-chan. Her nickname among her friends back in Canada is 'Amazing', as in Amazing May; on the same theme, she gave me the nickname Wonder Lily. We could totally fight crime.

*

This week is the last of my current work schedule, the one May and I have followed for the past three months. We still don't know which new departments we will start working in next week (some of our bosses are having a meeting today, I think, to decide) but we are feeling quite optimistic about the change. Of course, I will let you all know where we end up.

*

Tonight is Fugu Night. I am so excited! I'm going to try fugu at last. I remember seeing that Simpsons episode as a child, you know, the one where Homer demands fugu at a Japanese restaurant and then thinks he's going to die after eating it, but then doesn't. That episode has stuck with me all these years, so I am really determined to go ahead and seize this opportunity. Also, I promised my cousin that I would try it. This is for you, Greg!

2 comments:

Sassy said...

looks like you're having a fabulous time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hoorah! With written instructions from Josh, I am back to being able to tune in to LJ. I've missed being able to read your blogs. Will the LJ sign be back on my screen again or will I have to go through the rigmarole of re-joining each time? I hope not. But they did say welcome back, so there's no hard feeling!

Loved reading your latest updates. I think we have all realized by now that you and May have clicked which is an added bonus for us at home that love you, knowing you have a good friend while enjoying all of your new experiences. Perhaps one day soon we can get to meet May here in sunny Dorset. G.xx