Saturday 26 January 2008

No Beanstalk Though

Ha! I successfully made my own red bean sweet paste this morning, without a recipe I might add. Now I can conquer the world!

Here in Japan, everything has this sweet bean paste in it. You bite into a cake or pastry and expect it to be filled with jam or cream or something, but nine times out of ten it is filled with this paste. At first that bothered me but now I love it. I have no idea what it is called but it sure is yummy. I think I'm going to take some of the dry beans back to England with me so I can make some for my family.

Woo. Feeling productive.

3 comments:

Mike said...

HI lily,

I go to school at Rutgers University in the U.S. I saw your blog and it looked pretty interesting. I've never been to Japan before, but it looks really fun! I know what red bean paste is!! lol probably because i'm asian. I was actually thinking about studying in England one day, not to sure but yep. anyway just thought i would say hi! hope u get this msg

Anonymous said...

Red bean paste is called あんこ(anko), which can be called just あん(an)

There are two types of あんこ=あん.

One is こしあん, the other is つぶあん. If you grind each bean completely, it's called こしあん. If you have some of beans shape intact, then it's called つぶあん.

It's amazing you made it without reading recipe.

Anonymous said...

The message above is posted by me.
Forgot to write in my name. Sorry.