Friday 6 July 2007

地図 Get Out The Map

Do you ever find yourself saying things like, 'Oh, we can sort that out when we get there,' or 'I'm sure everything will fall into place'...? Well, that was my attitude towards the journey from Nagasaki back to Tōkyō after my six month stay in Japan. Basically, I have seven days from the end of my placement at Nagasaki Red Cross Hospital to get to Tōkyō, where my flight leaves for the UK. If I had wanted to I could have just flown back and then spent a week in Tōkyō, which I have no doubt would have been very enjoyable. Even with the two weeks holiday I am entitled to during my placement, and many a weekend to go on short trips with my friends or on my own, I have decided that I will definitely be seizing the opportunity to see more of Japan as I travel back. I will be navigating the Japanese rail network, and possibly even brace myself for a ride on the Shinkansen (Bullet Train) for part of the way if I can afford it. Here are a few places that have caught my eye so far:

Kyōto:- This is renowned as the best place for foreign visitors to see traditional Japan, whilst staying within the comforts of a modern city. I was immediately attracted to Kyōto when I first saw a picture of the avenue of torii gates at Fushimi Shrine, but I am not sure why I have such an affinity for torii gates. This city really does seem like one not to be missed, so I thought I might spend a few days here, time permitting. The annual Matsuri (festivals) are particularly abundant here also.



Biwa-Ko (Lake Biwa):- This is Japan's largest lake and covers a greater area than any Japanese city. Apparently there is a string of shrines, temples and shops along the waterfront, as well as Hikone Castle on the lake's eastern shore. It might be a bit touristy but a beautiful and serene place none-the-less.

Miyajima Island:- A lovely, unspoiled island that lies very close to the southern coast of western Honshu, not far from Hiroshima. You know that famous torii gate that appears to float on the sea? Well, that marks the entrance to this island, and it symbolises that the whole island is sacred. What drew me to Miyajima particularly was the fact that nobody is allowed to give birth of die on this island, meaning there are no maternity wards or cemeteries. Also, the monkey sanctuary at the top of Mount Misen here (accessible by cable car) and the free-roaming tame deer may have had their part to play in convincing me to visit this island.



One finds a recurrent theme in Japan of rebuilding and renewal, which just fascinates me. That is why Hiroshima and Kobe are also on my list of places to visit. Some Shinto shrines are rebuilt every twenty years exactly how they were previously, for instance, and have been for hundreds of years. Lying on the intersection of four tectonic plates, it is perhaps no surprise that Japan has acquired such an unrivalled ability to rebuild. Earthquakes - at least measurable ones - just do not happen here in Britain, so we are never faced with the challenge of starting everything over from scratch.

It goes without saying that the plans I am making now of my return journey may change dramatically by the time I come to fulfil them. Even so, I am getting increasingly excited by the day about my stay in Japan; I feel like a child in a sweet shop while I am looking through the guide books and websites on Japan and choosing where I want to go. I can't wait...

No comments: