Friday 7 September 2007

明治神宮 Meiji Jungu Shrine

Yesterday I went with the group of other volunteers (not all going Nagasaki but to other placements across Japan) and our guide, Ide-san, to Meiji Jungu Shrine. It was the first Shinto shrine I had visited and I didn't know what to expect.

This is what greets you as you approach the shrine - a giant torii gate, which indicates that all land beyond this point is sacred. We were also greeted by noisy raven; he obviously knew we were coming.

Okay, if I said I knew what these were I would be lying. Lanterns? Barrels? I don't know. Well whatever they were, I loved the artwork on them.

It's funny how ablution rituals pop up in so many different religions. In Shinto, you use these wooden ladle-like things to pour water over each hand and then to rinse out your mouth before entering the shrine proper.

This is a fairly familiar image from a Japanese shrine. On these Ema boards people write a prayer or a wish for the world to see. There were thousands of these at the Meiji shrine, but only up close do you appreciate their intimate nature.


You can tell you're in Japan when you see umbrellas for rent at the major attractions. Seriously, everybody here carries an umbrella. After only a few days in Tokyo I understand why – it's way too hot/humid to wear a jacket but it will rain torrentially for thirty seconds every hour or so. And if you're caught outside without an umbrella you can pick one up at any market or stall very cheap. I paid ¥105 for mine, which is about £0.45.

That's all for now. I'm flying down to Nagasaki today, so there probably won't be any posts for a few days. We'll see.

No comments: